Penwasciz Health Careers Program
...experience and encouragement for the future
Advocate Condell Medical Center provides an early opportunity for high school junior and senior students to learn first-hand about health careers through our educational program, Penwasciz Health Careers. Pronounced “Pen-Wah-Zee,” the name combines the name of three things a health professional always carries: a pen, a watch and scissors. Penwasciz has been an active student-volunteer program at Condell Medical Center for over 50 years.
Penwasciz interns learn about a variety of health care careers through direct patient interactions and observations. The students provide additional support to staff, patients and families in order to enhance the student’s hospital experience.
Hands-on participation allows Penwasciz students to experience healthcare professions first-hand, guiding them as they think about choosing a career in the medical field.
Experience in an actual medical setting as a Penwasciz Intern has inspired many graduates of the program to pursue careers as medical professionals.
Eligibility requirements for the Penwasciz program:
- Exhibit a sincere interest in learning about health careers and a commitment to the program.
- Be a Junior or Senior high school student and maintain a 2.5 GPA throughout the year.
- Attend one full day orientation session on a Monday or Tuesday in October.
- Able to attend a one 2-hour session per week during the academic year held on Monday evenings.
- Assume responsibility for assignments and report promptly at beginning of shift.
- Only 2 absences allowed during program.
- Parental consent is required.
Becoming a Penwasciz
If you are interested in becoming a Penwasciz, the link to the on-line application will be appear from:
3:30pm-4:30 only on September 2, 2014 at www.advocatehealth.com/condell/penwasciz
Interviews will be scheduled during September for the first forty (40) eligible applicants. Twenty-six students will be selected for the program, based on academics, interview, essay response and commitment to a healthcare career.
Penwasciz sessions will be held Monday’s from 5:00-7:00 PM or 7:00-9:00 PM. Each student will be assigned to one, 2-hour clinical time slot per week. Contact Penwasciz Health Careers program at 847.990.2449 with any further questions.
Back to the top